Chapters in my book Fish Medicine

Chapters in my book Fish Medicine

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Our Bowels

I am reading a book called "The Bowel Book' and it is a huge part of my research process in regard to Fish Medicine. It is all about understanding the 'process of elimination" LITERALLY! As crazy as this sounds.... our bowel health is  just as important as heart health. As a heart attack survivor I never thought I would say this. But after seeing what happened to my mother and experiencing those 60 days in ICU after her colon perforated, I never realized the severity and most of all the importance of healthy bowels. I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis in 2011. I had a full blown DT attack (that was how my mother and I abbreviated it in our texts to one another). She also suffered from it. Hers never seemed to go away. She was on antibiotics nonstop for years just to complete a dose  then have another attack not too long after. I fortunately never had another attack that required an ER visit like my first one. I researched and tried everything on the market to keep my bowels moving and I of course changed my diet. This meant giving up very important things in my diet ...like tomatoes! Tomatoes were key in keeping my triglyceride's in range. One area I struggled with when it came to my lipid panel and my heart health.  All I can say is that popcorn, nuts, and all of my favorite berries..... GONE... from my life. I became a yogurt guru and opted for the probiotic formulas. Yes welcome to my world. But it has worked.  However it did not work for my mother.
  Here is a great blog on healthy bowel movements. https://lachicaorganica.wordpress.com/resources-for-parents/healthy-bowel-movements/

No comments:

Post a Comment